Pekin, Illinois is a vibrant community of over 34,000 people and the perfect mix of business and pleasure. As the county seat for Tazewell County, Pekin enjoys a solid economic base and is home to many professional, industrial and manufacturing jobs – including Pekin Insurance and one of the largest ethanol facilities in the nation! We also support a very successful, city-owned Business Park with a highly skilled labor force to draw on as businesses continue to move in and thrive.
Scenic views… quaint neighborhoods… small town charm with big city amenities... and one of the lowest property tax rates in the Peoria area... these are just a few of the many reasons you should set up business here. Additionally, Pekin is conveniently located halfway between Chicago and St. Louis (about 165 miles from each), a few hours from Indianapolis, and just 10 miles south of Peoria. We are also nestled along the banks of the Illinois River, making Pekin an idyllic location to call home. Below are some additional highlights about all Pekin has to offer.
- Neighborhoods. Modest starter homes and new construction, wooded views and lake views, stately mansions and historic charm… whatever your style, you can probably find it in Pekin. Our homes are also priced to meet a variety of budgets!
- Healthcare. In addition to Pekin Hospital and Methodist at Pekin, there is a wide selection of specialty physicians with offices in Pekin. We also have several short-term and long-term care nursing homes available.
- Education. From grade school to high school, Pekin schools offer a diverse academic curriculum as well as an opportunity to explore the arts. We have also been recognized for our academic accomplishments and innovative teaching initiatives. Several parochial and private schools are also available to parents who want an alternative to public education.
- Recreation. Swimming, horseback riding, tennis, golf… you’re sure to be impressed with our expansive list of recreational activities and one-of-a-kind park system.
- Shopping. Clothes, antiques, crafts, collectibles, home improvements, furniture or a new vehicle, chances are you’ll find exactly what you need in Pekin. Our shopping district includes both unique shops as well as well-known markets and stores.
- Dining. Enjoy a romantic evening, a night out with friends or sipping coffee with an old friend, Pekin has it all. From Mexican and Italian to Asian and Greek, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the great tastes Pekin offers.
Want to Learn More about Pekin?
Talk to Pekin’s Economic Development Department today that will actively work with your business to find options, solutions and answers on how you can make your latest venture prosper.