The City of Pekin employees began collecting residential household garbage pick up on, Wednesday, September 1, 2004. If you currently lease a garbage container from Waste Management, you may continue to use those containers. However, we feel as if we have a more cost-effective garbage container alternative available through the City of Pekin.
Our 96 gallon containers are $60.00. Garbage containers may be purchased at local stores if the containers meet City of Pekin specifications.
City Code Sec. 3-1-2-2: Garbage collection fee schedule: A fee for the collection of garbage is established that will cover the cost of the collection and disposal. The fee will be included on the monthly waste water bill as a separate line item. The term garbage covers the yard waste and recycling collection as well as standard household garbage. The fee schedule will be as follows:
- May 1, 2019 a monthly fee of $20.00
- May 1, 2020 a monthly fee of $22.00
- May 1, 2021 a monthly fee of $22.00
City Code Sec. 3-1-2-1: CITY TO COLLECT: The City shall be the sole provider of residential solid waste collection for collecting of garbage, yard waste, recyclables, and refuse matter. Solid waste collection shall be under the supervision of the Superintendent of Streets and Solid waste. For the purposes of this Division, "residential" shall refer to all single-family residences, and multi-family residences consisting of 4 units or less. (Ord. No. 2960 - 20/21)
All garbage shall be placed at the curb by 6:00am the day of collection. Days of collection are established and available from the Street Department Office or on the City web site.
Ordinance 2960 - 20/21 - At its April 12, 2021 meeting, the City Council amended its Code regarding what materials are prohibited for solid waste collection. This change is effective as of 4/19/2021 and includes the following:
- Building or construction materials, provided that carpet will be accepted if it is rolled up in bundles of not more than 4 feet in length and not more than 50 pounds in weight.
- Bulk items, which shall be defined as items too large to fit inside a 96-gallon cart, including, but not limited to, furniture and mattresses.
- Household appliances and electronics.
- Animal remains, and animal waste unless placed within a separate bag or container prior to being placed in the disposal cart.
- Hazardous waste, batteries, motor oil, and other materials that cannot be disposed of at the disposal facility.
- Paint cans, unless the paint is completely dried out prior to being placed for disposal.
Also as a reminder:
It shall be unlawful to dump, store or throw away any refuse, grass, leaves, or branches of any kind in any alley, gutter, street or other public way in the City.
- It shall be unlawful to deposit or leave any refuse or yard waste material in such a place or condition that it can be blown by the wind so as to be scattered or cause clouds of dust or particles.
- It shall be unlawful to permit or store any combustible refuse in such a way as to create a fire hazard.
The following items WILL NOT be accepted at all: Tires, Large batteries, appliances, water heaters, electronics, paint or hazardous chemicals.
Christmas Trees may be set out for regular garbage pick-up. Christmas trees are the only trees allowed in the landfill.
The specifications are as follows:
- 96 gallon- 46.5 inches in height, 26.38 inches in width, and 33.62 inches in depth
Additional information may be obtained by calling the City of Pekin Solid Waste Department at (309) 477-2325. Garbage containers are purchased at City Hall, 111 South Capitol Street, Pekin, IL 61554 (2nd floor). You may also request a garbage container by filling out the garbage container order form.
Disposing of Electronic Waste
Please read Public Act 95-0959 (effective January 1, 2012) regarding recycling and/or reusing electronic equipment.
The following places are available for disposing of electronic equipment such as TVs, computers, printers and more:
Kuusakoski Recycling: 2022 W. Townline Road, Peoria (309) 691-5015 - Mon.-Wed.-Fri. 10am-2pm
($25.00 each per TV and computer monitor; $35.00 each per big screen TV's.)
Staples: 3507 Court Street, Pekin (309) 347-2664 (Electronic's only - no TV's)