|THANK YOU for considering to recycle in Pekin!!
If you have questions on the recycling program a FAQ is located here.
Each week, city crews pick up garbage for over 11,000 residential units. Of those units, approximately 60% recycle. Your participation will help to improve that statistic.
Recycling has many benefits (see box at right). It also helps create more efficiency by: 1) lowering costs that are paid to dump solid waste/garbage at the landfill; 2) reducing transportation costs to haul garbage to the landfill; and 3) integrating more automation into the solid waste collection process so that city employees can stay healthier (by not lifting heavy bins).
Benefits of Recycling:*
- Reduction in the amount of waste sent to landfills and combustion facilities;
- Conservation of natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
- Prevention of pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials;
- Saving of energy;
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change;
- Helping to sustain the environment for future generations; and
- Helping to create well-paying jobs in recycling and manufacturing industries.
*According to the US EPA