Administration Economic Development City Clerk Community Development Fire Department Inspections Police Department Public Services Public Works New Movers

City of Pekin Home

Advanced Search
Upcoming Events



Inspections Department F.A.Q.

Attention:  If you are thinking of doing a remodeling project or any maintenance repair or installation work (heating/air conditioning, plumbing or electrcial...Before you make an agreement with the Contractor, please contact the Inspections Office at 309-477-2315.

Q: Why do I need a permit?

A: Permits are required to ensure the owner that any work performed on their property has been done correctly and up to the applicable codes. We read about tragedies all the time where homes or businesses have been destroyed or lives have been lost due to faulty construction or installation. To ensure that everyone in the City of Pekin has a safe residence or business, the city codes require that all work be permitted and inspected.

Q: What type of work requires a permit?

A: Permits are required for all electrical, plumbing, sewer, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning work. Other items that require permits include fences, sheds, new homes, home additions, decks, signs, and pools. If there is a question as to whether or not a permit is required, please call the Inspections Department at 309.477.2315.

Q: Can I have a fence in my front yard?

A: Yes but it must meet the requirements established for front yard fences. Chain link style fences are not permitted in any front yard. Persons with corner lots must also adhere to the line of sight requirements when installing fences or shrubbery in front of their homes or businesses.

Q: Why can't I park vehicles in my front yard or on city right of way?

A: Parking of vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers, boats, etc.) in yards or in the right of way is prohibited. All vehicles must be parked on a hard surface (concrete and asphalt are considered hard surfaces).

Q: I need a permit for installing a new roof?

A: No, there is no permit required for having a new roof installed unless you are having more than 30% of the sheeting replaced. There is also no permit required for the installation for siding, window and door replacement, or interior remodeling unless changes are being made to walls that would involve structural modifications or changes to plumbing or electrical items. If there is a question as to whether or not a permit is required, please call the Inspections Department at 309.477.2315.

Q: Can I do the work myself?

A: Yes any homeowner can do work on his residence but a permit must still be obtained. The definition of homeowner is the person who owns and lives at the residence. Just because you own a building does not make you the homeowner. In the case of a commercial business, all work must be done by licensed/registered contractors. It is not permitted for anyone to do work on anyone else’s property unless they are licensed/registered with the City of Pekin Inspections Department.

Q: How often can I have a Garage Sale?

A: No person or other entity may operate, conduct, manage or permit a Garage Sale upon his or its premises or other property under his or its control more often than four (4) times per calendar year.  No Garage Sale may be continuted for more than three (3) consecutive days.  No Garage Sale may be conducted before 7:00am or after 7:00pm. Signs advertising Garage Sales shall be subject to the following restrictions (click here for Code).

Q: How can I get registered as a contractor?

A: There are two ways to get registered. One is to produce a license or registration from another town or to submit a request to get licensed in Pekin. First you must have sufficient experience and then you will be required to take a test and obtain a passing score. If you are a plumber, you must provide a copy of your current State of Illinois license.

Q: Nuisances; Creating; Maintaining?

A: For the purposes of this Chapter, the word "nuisance" is defined to mean any condition or use of premises or of building exteriors which is detrimental to the property of others or which causes or tends to cause substantial diminution in the value of other property in the neighborhood in which such premises are located.  This includes, but is not limited to, the keeping or the depositing on, or the scattering over the premises of, any of the following:  See City Code here.

Q:  There is a Weed Lien on a piece of property? Click here for the Weed Ordinance.

A:  Please call us at 309-477-2315.

If you should have any more questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 309.477.2315 or email us at