Pekin Community High School is known for cultivating bright young individuals with promising futures. Many have gone on to pursue successful careers in medicine, government, publishing and other distinguished fields.
A prime example is Astronaut Scott Altman, a 1977 graduate of PCHS. Selected as an astronaut candidate by NASA in 1994, Altman is a veteran of three space flights and has logged over 38 days in space.
Another example of an incredibly successful Pekin High graduate is Senator Everett Dirksen. Here are a few of Dirksen's major accomplishments:
- Served the U.S. House of Representatives for eight consecutive terms
- Elected to U.S. Senate in 1950
- Elected Minority Leader of the U.S. Senate in 1959, a post he held until his death
- Helped secure passage of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
- Helped secure passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964